Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Depending on the amount of work done gophers will get perks like a special t-shirt, food, and of course an invitation to the dead dog party. So head over to the con web site and sign up!
Thursday, March 13, 2008
The nominees are:
- Haltiamaan kuninkaantytär (The King of Elfland’s Daughter) by Lord Dunsany (Vaskikirjat)
- Locke Lamoran valheet (The Lies of Locke Lamora) by Scott Lynch (WSOY)
- Variksen velho (Mũrogi was Kagogo) by Ngugi wa Thiong’o (WSOY)
- Matkijalintu (Mockingbird) by Sean Stewart (Karisto)
- Húrinin lasten tarina (Children of Húrin) by J.R.R. Tolkien (WSOY)
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
On the list are:
- Carita Forsgren: Trio Org (Portti 2/07)
- Vesa-Pekka Herva: Paikka rannalla (Portti 1/07)
- Boris Hurtta: Doktor Kronburgerin muistikirja (Portti 3/07)
- Katariina Juntunen: Pohjavirtoja (Usva 2/07)
- Jussi Katajala: Vetehinen (Usva 2/07)
- Natalia Laurila: Maitosoturit (Tähtivaeltaja 4/07)
- J.K. Miettinen: Jäytää (Portti 1/07)
- J.K. Miettinen: Todellinen kenokas (Portti 3/07)
- Tiina Männistö: Ensimmäinen tapaamani noita (Spin 3/06)
- Heikki Nevala: Herra Tvist (Usva 3/07)
- Heikki Nevala: Ihmisten sankarit, jumalten äpärät (Usva 1/07)
- Heikki Nevala: Kauhun kaksi huonetta (Kosmoskynä 2/07)
- Tiina Raevaara: Sudenkorento (Usva 4/07)
- Marcus Rosenlund: Varde mörker (Enhörningen 12)
- Mari Saario: Ensimmäiset kahdeksan ruutua (Spin 2/07)
- Mari Saario: Keveät (Spin 3/06)
- Mari Saario: Sateenkaari 2256 (Tähtivaeltaja 1/07)
- Mari Saario: Toiset uneksivat runonsa (Usva 1/07)
- Timo Saarto: Ruusumiehen aika (Spin 1/07)
- Petri Salin: AY0938 (Enhörningen 12)
- Petri Salin: Exit only (Usva 1/07)
- Petri Salin: Metsämiehen tarina (Finnzine 2/07)
- Tuomas Saloranta: Lihan lapset
- M. G. Soikkeli: Jos haluat rakkautta, varaudu sotaan (Tähtivaeltaja 4/07)
- M.G. Soikkeli: Maan langat, Marsin hiekat (Portti 2/07)
- M.G. Soikkeli: Marsin ikävä (Marsin ikävä, turbator 2007)
- Piia Tirronen: Karuselli (Usva 3/07)
- Jani Torvinen: Poika (Usva 3/07)
- Mirka Ulanto: Heijastuksia (Portti 4/07)
- Susi Vaasjoki: Taruntekijä (Portti 4/07)
(By the way, FSFWA needs to re-think their web strategy—or start to think about having one. Having info scattered on two separate sites plus additional pages on members’ personal home pages is just so 1990s.)
Thursday, March 06, 2008
Back from the pub meeting (early because it was my turn to babysit). There was quite a crowd this time, I counted some twenty persons in total. Talked about this and that, including the possible new membership options for TSFS, the state of Spin, the coming Atorox award, results from the “Finsmofcon,” the book fair, a planned sf exhibition in the library, and many other things, including a lot of unofficial topics I’m not going to repeat here. Bough a beer to a fine young gentleman who took part in the demonstration against the absurd censorship laws introduced in Finland a while ago. Ate a burger. Drank beer. Had fun. And hopefully convinced a couple of persons that they really, really want, no, need to go to Åcon.
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Monday, March 03, 2008
Everyone can participate at this step—no membership of TSFS (or any other society) or other formal qualifications required. Also, you don’t need to read every short story published in Finland last year: as long as you have read at least one short story that you think is good enough to be an Atorox candidate, you can nominate that story (or stories).
Details on the announcement on the TSFS site. There’s now also an Atorox FAQ, which answers some questions about the nomination process (inspired by the questions posed at the findom meeting last weekend).
As usual, there were a few awards given out at Finncon last weekend in Turku. Here's a rundown of the results. Atorox The Atorox Awa...
The Helsinki Science Fiction Society has announced the winner of this year’s Tähtivaeltaja Award : the best science fiction book published i...
Turku Science Fiction Society has announced the nominees for the 2010 Atorox award for best Finnish sf short story published last year. The...
Cristian Tamas interviews Johanna Sinisalo for the Europa SF portal. (photo by Katja Lösönen)