Finncon Program Announced
Finncon 2011 has announced their program schedule. (The link points to the English-language page which is still lacking translations, but those will hopefully be updated soon.)
The program maps have the English program items marked in them, but here’s a list of Finncon & Animecon’s English-language items for easier reference. (Copied from the handy list Jukkahoo posted on Facebook. Thanks, Jukka!)
- 14.00–14.45 On Writing
Guests of Honour Nalo Hopkinson and Richard Morgan talk about writing speculative fiction.
- 16.00–16.45 Black Widow
An interview with Richard Morgan about his comic projects. Morgan has written the story to two Black Widow miniseries for Marvel Comics.
- 16.00–17.45 Do it with Jordan... Part 1: Cover up
A trilogy in four parts during the weekend. Playful competitions to get you acquainted with the brick-like works of Fantasy literature.
- 20.00 Fandom Bar
Brewery restaurant Koulu
- 10.00–10.30 Opening Ceremony
Opening spectacle of the con! Useful information!
- 11.00–12.45 Guest of Honour speech: Nalo Hopkinson
- 11.00–11.45 Do it with Jordan... Part 2: Walk with
- 12.00–12.45 Reading + signing: Tom Crosshill
- 12.00–13.45 Medieval Music
The Medieval society of Turku, Unikankare, delights you with musicians. Let the flutes and drums guide your feet to dance with the help of the lovely ladies of Unikankare!
- 13.00–13.45 Kaffeeklatsch: Nalo Hopkinson
Chat with the author over a cup of coffee
- 13.30–14.30 Interview with HIMEKA
Canadian singer HIMEKA is interviewed. After the interview, you can ask for HIMEKA's autograph on her concert's programme book or on HIMEKA merchandise.
- 15.00–16.45 Guest of Honour speech: Richard Morgan
- 16.00–16.45 Hugo-nominees of 2010
Panel discussion. Marianna Leikomaa, Jukka Halme, Cheryl Morgan, Tommy Persson
- 16.00–16.45 Do it with Jordan... Part 3: Show it
- 17.00–17.45 Kaffeeklatsch: Richard Morgan
- Party at Kåren
- Finnconkampen table-top hockey tournament, sign up at the con!
- Masquerade, sign up in advance or on location as soon as possible.
- 11.00–12.45 Cultural Appropriation in SF
What is the difference between culture as window dressing and culture as essential background in speculative fiction? How do stories transcend treating the foreign as the exotic, especially if the culture in question is not the author's?
- 13.00–13.45 Reading + signing: Richard Morgan
- 14.00–14.45 Reading + signing: Nalo Hopkinson
- 16.00–16.45 Do it with Jordan... Part 4: Go deeper
- 16.00-17.45 Piratism Panel Discussion
Nalo Hopkinson (Note: This item isn’t shown in the schedules but is mentioned in the program listing, so maybe it is still unconfirmed.)